Friday, August 31, 2007

Photographing jewelry

One thing you might have noticed while perusing the images of the jewelry on these pages is that it's very tricky to capture them in pictures.

I have to make sure I have enough light, that the angle shows the necklace off at optimum, and the background is aesthetically pleasing but not distracting.

I want to be able to present my work at its best. I try to capture the colors and textures, the beauty of my shells and stones and beads - but it is a very challenging task.

In the coming months I will be doing a lot of experimenting with photography and exploring the best ways to capture these pieces digitally, and hopefully improve the quality of my pictures. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

AnnaB. said...

Good luck with the jewellery picture taking. Totally tricky but I found that pictures turn out better in natural light - no flash - so I end up bring all my stuff outside! - Sunshine (Mariel's Cousin from Canada)

Hazel Designs said...

Thanks for the tip, Sunshine! I will definitely try this!

Karmela said...

Perhaps you should invest in a high-end camera and claim it as a tax deduction. Hehe...

Hazel Designs said...

Actually this isn't a bad idea - and my tax deduction would be totally legit since I would be using the camera for business purposes. My old teacher has her cell phone tax deducted since she uses it for her business.

Mom2Amara said...

Um, you should talk to your accountant. My cell is a deduction. So is some of my makeup, my magazine and newspaper subscriptions, and my cable and internet lines. All part of my "work." Same goes for Dad2Amara's business... So I think your sister may be on to something!

Hazel Designs said...

Mom2Amara, you have an AWESOME setup - makeup AND internet? I hope US Weekly is included!