Thursday, December 11, 2008

Lessons learned

Two rings, one set with a red coral and the other with a pink coral. The bands are made from 12g sterling silver wire. At first, I was pleased with the results. And the photographs came out well. But after looking more closely, I realized the gauge I used for the band was too thick for rings that are meant to look delicate. Also, my soldering job isn't as good as I initially thought, owing to the fact that thick wire requires more solder. Some parts underneath the bezel cup got a little bit globby, requiring extensive filing.

I'm a little annoyed that I seem to have wasted the cabochons, but I'll chuck it to a learning experience and hopefully the next rings will be even better because now I know what works and what doesn't. After all, a little experimentation never hurt any (except maybe for Dr. Frankenstein).

No comments: